Monday, February 10, 2014

What Makes For An Exemplary Blog?

Contemporary Literature Assignment - Unit 1: Reviewing Blogs

Even though I am no where near an adventurous or motivated cook/chef, I have been following a wonderful blog called "Eat Yourself Skinny" after I saw the recipe for lavender lemonade. See URL below…


This blog features interesting and exciting healthy recipes explained by Kelly, "a 20-something foodie with a passion for cooking and a huge desire to show that a healthy lifestyle can actually be easy and fun", and author of the blog. 

"Eat Yourself Skinny" offers a new healthy recipe every day, and the recipes span from breakfast to dinner and everything in-between. Every post starts with the name of the dish and a beautiful picture of the final product. Kelly often offers some personal info linked with the dish, and explains the different healthy aspects of ingredients and cooking methods. She then has a normal, easy to follow recipe with an ingredient list and instructions. She also adds the nutritional information at the bottom of the post. 

Kelly's blogs fits well into the requirements of a great, easy to follow blog. The pictures are magnificent (she is a professional food photographer), and the writing portions of the blog posts are relatively short, and very easy to read. Her informal, first person writing style and personal stories make the reader feel as if they are hearing it first hand! Even though the title of the blog is "Eat Yourself Skinny", the blog is not all about weight-loss, but about delicious healthy dishes that are as good for you as they are tasty! 

Being a "foodie" is definitely not required for this blog; I usually find cooking EXTREMELY frustrating, but I love reading the recipes and seeing all off her beautiful pictures! 

Just for fun, here is the recipe that got me hooked on this blog!

http://www.eat-yourself-skinny.com/2012/09/lavender-lemonade.html

2 comments:

  1. I also really like this blog, I think it is very informative and really helpful if you want to eat healthier but do not know where to start. Even if you cannot make the recipes the pictures are incredible. She seems like a very bubbly and exciting person which makes her more personable, like she is your friend. I may even start following this blog because eating healthy is important for me but not always easy for me to accomplish in my day to day life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this blog and can see why you got hooked on it. I agree that the pictures are amazing and for the most part the postings are short. It was easy and interesting to read and I liked how the author gave tips and her first hand experience with the recipes rather than just listing them. The title was also really catchy and made me want to read the blog.

    ReplyDelete